otakumom

Origin in Death
J.D. Robb
Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
Jay Rubin
1Q84 - Haruki Murakami This work is not for the casual reader. It's a very dense work as well as having a lot going on on multiple levels beyond the superficial story. The story starts out slow as we are presented with parallel narratives of the two important characters, Tengo and Aomame. It starts out slow as the story progresses, you start to see the connections. I loved the parallel worlds and the parallel story lines also reflected this as well. As the story progresses, you find more connections and you are also hoping for specific connections to be made.

I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of [b:The Sirens of Titan|4982|The Sirens of Titan|Kurt Vonnegut|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1340744277s/4982.jpg|905970] (one of my favorites of all time) in so many ways with the characters struggling in parallel fronts, hoping for intersection. Also, the female main character was a strong character. She was an equal partner in this venture which you don't see so much in Japanese literature in general. I was really struck by how much of a main player she was so that scored more points for me.

Unfortunately, this novel is not for mass consumption. It either strikes a chord with you or doesn't.