otakumom

Origin in Death
J.D. Robb
Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
Jay Rubin
The Devotion of Suspect X: A Detective Galileo Novel - Keigo Higashino, Alexander O. Smith I'm not sure whether to give this novel a 2 or 3 star rating. I really like the novel approach where you pretty much know who the perpetrators of the crime are but have to figure out the how and wonder whether they will get away with it.

In the two novels I've read in this series so far, the murders have had some extenuating circumstances that draw your sympathy towards to people being investigated and you are tempted to hope they get away with the perfect crime. However, in this installment, it's about a third party that go involved and this person, Ishigami has close ties to Yuwara who seems like Japanese scientist version of Sherlock Holmes.

In this case, it's Ishigami who captures our attention and his interaction with Yuwara takes centerstage. However, his development is sporadic and only intensifies late in the novel. To be quite honest with you, I didn't find it as engrossing as [b:Salvation of a Saint|13506866|Salvation of a Saint|Keigo Higashino|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1330630250s/13506866.jpg|19057963] which was recently released. Perhaps if I had read this novel before Salvation of a Saint, I would not have felt that way as the story was still engaging but lacking the intensity of the latter novel.