otakumom

Origin in Death
J.D. Robb
Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
Jay Rubin
Jane and the Madness of Lord Byron: Being A Jane Austen Mystery - Stephanie Barron It's been eons since I picked up a novel in the Jane Austen Mysteries. I generally am not a fan of the first-person narrative but I liked the epistolary style used in the storytelling. The mystery is unveiled through Jane's eyes and recounted by her. The novel does spend half of it setting up the mystery introducing the characters and the other half dealing with the actual mystery.

The one thing I don't like is the passiveness of the narrative. While we may be in the first person, the story resides primarily in Jane's thoughts or recounting of the recounting of others. In that respect, I wasn't too thrilled about being a completely passive reader at the mercy of what is doled out to me. I realize all mysteries are like that but they aren't so obvious about it as this one was (or at least to me).

After reading a lot of mysteries and period novels, it was kind of obvious where the investigation was going though not necessarily what was going to happen. The characters were more stereotypical rather than fully developed complex characters. I enjoyed the novelty of the writing style and it did read fast. I'm not sure if I will pick up another one in this series or re-visit an old one I read eons ago.