otakumom

Origin in Death
J.D. Robb
Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
Jay Rubin
Mother Night - Kurt Vonnegut This novel is one of my favorite Kurt Vonnegut novels. I love the interplay between intentions and consequences. Howard Campbell Jr served as an American spy in World War II under the guise of a German propagandist. The war is over but he is captured as a war criminal and his true role was never revealed. In order to prove his innocene, he must get the American government to admit to his covert role of passing information encoded in his radio broadcasts. Easy right. Wrong.

Here's the complication. He was a good propagandist. His role while intending to help the Allies, also helped rally the enemy as well. So the question that is raised, should he be held responsible for the role that he played that served the enemy well as well as the allies. Was he actually innocent as he thought he was? I love that this novel address the gray area -- that fine line between right and wrong and of the conflict between consequences and intentions.

I thoroughly recommend this novel. It's very thought-provoking without being high-handed.