otakumom

Origin in Death
J.D. Robb
Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
Jay Rubin
Highlander Most Wanted - Maya Banks In the second novel of the Montgomery and Armstrong series that is set in feudal Scotland, Bowen Montgomery returns to McHugh Keep to seek justice for the kidnapping of his sister-in-law, Evelina, only to find it abandoned by its laird leaving a handful of men, women and children, including Genevieve McInnis.

Genevieve has suffered under Ian McHugh's savagery for a year and her spirit close to breaking. Her position is precarious as she is continually scorned by the remaining McHugh clan and it gets worse as her story unfolds. Bowen feels for her plight and is angered by the behavior of the McHugh clan. However, he is a bit at a loss as to what to do with her. It gets worse when he hears about her role in Evelina's kidnapping.

There are many heartbreaking moments for our tortured heroine. And make no mistake, this is Genevieve's story as much as it is also about Bowen and Genevieve. I was afraid, uncertain how the painful experience would be portrayed but Banks manages to draw you into the emotional struggle and despair that Genevieve experiences as well as her triumphs.

My only criticism with the story is that the ending comes about rather too quickly and not the same level of development that follows the earlier part of the story. The event that brings Bowen and Genevieve together seemed like a quick fix that just didn't coincide with the intensity of their emotional struggles. Bowen wanted her to have choices and to come to him as a choice. Unfortunately, that was not the case. This is also my very first Netgalley book. And thank Random House for allowing me the privilege of reviewing an advance copy.