otakumom

Origin in Death
J.D. Robb
Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
Jay Rubin
Angel Rogue - Mary Jo Putney I read this novel when it was originally [b:The Rogue and The Runaway|692965|The Rogue and The Runaway (Regency #3)|Mary Jo Putney|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1230686431s/692965.jpg|14939130] eons ago when I was teenager. The story has been rewritten at parts in order to adapt several of Putney's earlier work into the Fallen Angels series. I enjoyed this story a lot. The camaraderie between Maxima and Robin worked well. Maxima is definitely a credible self-sufficient female who had faced adversity all her life. Robin is charming but also suffers from the aftermath of his career as a spy and trying to determine his future while readjusting to normal civilian life. I also enjoyed the adventures of Giles and Desdemona as well.

Here's the part that didn't work for me.
How could no one notice Maxima. In the land of pale rosy checked button nosed people, wouldn't Maxima's skin color stand out? It is constantly referred to as exotic and dark so she's not on the pale side for her Native American heritage. Yes, she's wearing a big hat but it'll have to be one heck of a hat to cover her skin.

The other parts were a few words that were used that just didn't seem to ring right. Whether they were legitimately used during that time period, I couldn't say for sure. But "asbestos drawers" just didn't seem right to me.

The other thing that kept distracting me is that I kept trying to remember how the original story went. I know that the theme was that both Robin and Maxima lived between cultures. Neither of them could fit into society neatly. However, when the story was fitted into the Fallen Angel series, they changed it so that they fit in with the spy family network whom were all people on the fringe in one form or another. That whole part wasn't in the book. Also, I believe the original was far more chaste since it was written in around the 80s or 90s as a Signet Regency. It seemed that it was also adapted for modern audiences. I like both versions. Both were enjoyable all the same.