otakumom

Origin in Death
J.D. Robb
Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
Jay Rubin
A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5) - Sabrina Jeffries This novel is the final one in the Hellions of Halstead Hall series. It involves Celia who is the youngest of the brood and the final pieces of the mystery surrounding the death of their parents.

I enjoyed the characters and the intrigue regarding the mystery of their parents' murder. We also have further development on Gran's character. She undergoes a re-examination of her manipulative machinations. I love Jackson's aunt. She seems like a more balanced version of Gran's character.

While I also enjoyed the bickering between Celia and Jackson, the romance didn't seem as engaging and at times just a means to an end. Otherwise, I really enjoyed the interplay between all the characters, major or minor.

What was a bit much was that the Batso's role in their parents murder and his subsequent obsession with Celia. Ewwwww. It was kind of gross and just didn't seem believable.

Also, Jackson's major discovery regarding his true father was a bit underdeveloped and glossed over. It figured so prominently in his identity and his attitudes that was often remarked upon that when it proved to have no bearing in reality, Jackson should have been more of a basket case than he was.