otakumom

Origin in Death
J.D. Robb
Making Sense of Japanese: What the Textbooks Don't Tell You
Jay Rubin
Knitting for Good!: A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change Stitch by Stitch - Betsy Greer When I initially borrowed this book from the library, I was under the impression that it was all about knitting charities and how to get involved via knitting. However, I was pleasantly surprised that this was more of a narrative of one woman's journey in life that knitting helped guide.

It does highlight many things I've read about knitting i.e. the meditative state, therapeutic, and a feeling of self-reliance. It was nice reading combined in one personalized narrative. She also highlights knitting and crafting organizations and individuals and how knitting affected their lives.

It also delves in to identity issues that post modern feminists seem to struggle with. In efforts to break free from the domestic chains, we inadvertently shunned every aspect of it despite whether it was good or bad for us. So at points I did think that she does either over-explain or make stretches to attribute things to knitting. Whereas I don't doubt it played an important role in her life, I also felt a bit a skepticism at times when the tone felt more like knitting is THE way in a manner a new convert would enthusiastically with single minded resolve try to convert others.

Aside from that, this is an enjoyable quick read about a woman's journey to find significance in her life or her place in this world. There are some quick references and links to various organizations but by no means comprehensive.

If you are looking for comprehensive guide to avenues of merging knitting and charitable works, you will be disappointed.